Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 9

Favorite Books and Why

I don't really read much. In high school when I had to read a book I just went on Sparknotes. I would get amped up about a book. "Aw man this is gonna be sick! I heard this was crazy!" Then I'd read the first 100 pages and then would take a break. Permanently. But there are books that I have read! They're great books (I mean I actually read them - ME!) So here they are.

Scott Pilgrim Volumes 1 - 6 by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Scott Pilgrim is a 22 year old slacker who plays bass in a band. He finds this mysterious girl Ramona Flowers and goes out with her. But for Scott to be her boyfriend, he must defeat Ramona's 7 evil ex's... and break up with his current girlfriend. I love this series. It's constantly moving so you're never bored. There's a lot of action. It's good if you wanna laugh. I read the series because I loved the live action movie. But after reading the series, the movie seemed less awesome. I still liked it, but I think if I read before watching I wouldn't have let so much slide.

Lobotomy: Surviving The Ramones by Dee Dee Ramone
Lobotomy is not a Ramones band biography. It's the bass player Dee Dee Ramone's life story, written by the man himself. It starts out with him bein born in Germany. Then you'll read up to when he's explaining how he wrote the book in the Chelsea Hotel in NYC. It's an easy read (I mean Dee Dee Ramone wrote it - no offense man!) If you've seen him speak, he's ummm... he's great with words.

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks

I'm not gonna lie, I only read the guide. There are "Recorded Attacks" at the last third of the book but I only read the guide. And it was great! This is a fun read. People are all "I don't need a guide to tell me what to do in a zombie invasion". You don't. This is just a fun read. And it'll actually teach/ show you things that a lot of people would do that would fail or not work as well as you think it would. Ex: You have a chain gun or a bolt action rifle. What do you choose? You choose the bolt action. It shoots single shots forcing you to be careful and accurate with your shots. "Well with the chain gun I could just mow them down. I could aim at one angle and take out their heads." Not all people are the same height. And the ones that you knock down you gotta make sure they don't turn into crawlers that you would mistaken for a downed ghoul. The chain gun will make you trigger happy, wasting a lot of necessary ammo. And with it being louder, you'd attract more zombies from farther distances. It's a fun and easy read, I strongly recommend.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

This was a book I had to read for school. It was a short book, so I was able to finish it. I actually watched the film years prior because my brother had to read it in high school also. So I already knew what it was about. It was an interesting story about two friends, George and Lenny. They travel a lot looking for work, saving up for a farm of their own. I honestly don't know how to explain it without giving away some of the things that happen so I'm gonna stop there. It's not too long of a book, so it'll be a quick read. You'll laugh. You'll be all, "crap man that suuuuucks." It's a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment